Factsheet of Oranjemund
- Population of max 10,000
- Governed by the Oranjemund Town Council
- Forms part of the Regional Council constituency of Rosh Pinah
- Accounts to the Regional Governor of the //Kharas Region
- 1,013 residential properties
- ¼ privatized ownership and growing
- A well-established private hospital, providing access to public patients
- A public healthcare clinic
- One private and one public primary school, as well as a public secondary school
- 12 Churches
- Life of Mine of 2022
- Other than Namdeb, the incumbent mine, there are 140 businesses either mainly in direct support of mining or small-scale SMEs indirectly dependent on the mining industry. About 5-10% has independent viability
- Border town, albeit not an export town, with border posts
- International airport, but not cargo-freight
- Sufficient freshwater supply
- Moderate climate
- River and seafronts
- Renewable energy sources, especially wind
- Pristine and safe environments
- Arid land
- Low concentrations of local demand in region
- No port
- Remote from offset – 800km to Cape Town, 1,000km to Windhoek
A railway worker, Zachariah Lewala, finds the first diamond near Luderitz. The discovery leads to a major diamond rush, initiated by August Stauch.
Oranjemund town is established to cater for the mining community and run by the mine, CDM.
The Oranjemund town management Company OTM is established.
- The Namibian Government declared and proclaimed Oranjemund as a town.
- Oranjemund is declared a local authority, supported by Namdeb.
The Oranjemund Town Council is established and held the first local authority elections.
Town transformation team is formed to lead the town transfer process.
Town Transformation Team formed to direct the transfer of Oranjemund from a private owned to a public owned town, in a sustainable way.
OMD2030 vision is co-created by OTC, business and community.
- New Council elected.
- Memorandum of agreement outlined with Namdeb to transfer land. Infrastructure and services.
- Oranjemund 2030 programme established.
- Feastablity studies are completed for selected for completed for selected economic diversification streams
- OMD2030 established. Transfer, Transition Initiated.
- Oranjemund town officially opened to the general public no town entry permits required.
OTC & Namdeb Signed MoA.
- Government and namdeb meet to discuss the prices of improvements – Property ownership commenced.
- OMDis Town Transform registered under section 21 companies Act
News & Announcements
Through our news and announcements, we hope to keep you engaged yet inspired as we share Oranjemunds transform journey with you.